Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh! But I am an "Engineer"


These are my thoughts on a recent discussion amongst the members of IIT's ISMP (Institute Student Mentorship Program) on the online group. The topic was raised by good friend - Abhinav based on an incidence which he came across last year.

He says: "Last year in August itself my mentees asked me whether they should go for a MBA or not.. some even asked me to tell them how to prepare for CAT. I was quite disappointed with this attitude the Freshmen were carrying as I never thought about it when I was in First year and I am still quite enthusiastic about Engineering but anyways I can't impose my thoughts on someone else.
So what is the best way of replying to this question ? Do you straight away say no and tell them that Indian Government is anyways spending lakhs on us and why do you wasn't to waste this degree by going for a MBA ?"

I feel that it should not be viewed as the Government or Tax-Payers wasting their money on us. In a way, it can be seen as a meaningful investment as well because especially where India has struggled to produce/establish quality Educational Institutions post independence, very few like IITs are atleast nurturing the talented kids to take care of the intellect demand of the Industry across all disciplines.

For instance, I feel that even if an Engineer with good Academic Record having an Inclination for his own Engineering Stream goes ahead to be a top banker or a top lawyer, its more than the purpose served for the Country! Because, on the one hand the student did justice to himself and on the other, he made use of his strengths to serve the country in the way he is best capable of, which in a particular case may be banking or law practice!

I very strongly feel and verify through my observations that majority of the kids come to IIT (including most of us) not with a vision that they want to be good Engineers but because they are made to see a dream by parents, peers, seniors, family friends etc. that life after IIT will be extremely Rosy! An Aspirant slogs for JEE only in the run-up to realize this dream.

So, if you carefully observe its not the Engineering Acumen which brings most of us to IIT. Infact JEE or for that matter, no Engineering Entrance Exam in the country (to my understanding) is truly successful in testing the applicants on the practical Engineering aptitude. I pondered over this in my third year a lot, even consulted a few professors for their opinion and I have personally come to a clear conclusion for myself: I am not Mechanical Engineer by choice, it is partially by destiny and partially by the constraints imposed by various parameters during Counseling or similar processes. Though, I may be good at the subject (by chance the risk fortunately paid off! :P) and maybe able to score good grades in it but it also doesn't rule out this possibility that I maybe better and in fact much much better at something else. And, I believe that one should pursue what he/she is "bestest" at and which gives ultimate happiness!! Knowing your strengths and then choosing a career around the same perhaps increases the probability of being successful and at the same time, enjoying your work. So, there is no defined Right and Wrong! Its all up to "SELF" how best you identify yourself!

And Now, coming to what I would advise to my Mentees with whatever limited knowledge or perception I have:
Do not blindly trust anybody, listen to everyone but then don't make a decision before you are truly convinced by Logic, Facts and Experience. I have always advised and probably might still do it in future unless I am corrected: Don't make a decision simply driven by the Glamor of it or what somebody else says about it. For Example: Collect information/facts about Swimming, Dive into the Pool, Observe what swimming is about, Whether you enjoy it?, Come out (if lucky! :D), Analyze and then make a decision. Listening to wisdom of Seniors and experienced people may definitely help to get a realization of various directions. But, the call of - which direction you ought to travel should only be taken by YOU. Take an informed, aware call, give in your best and face/experience the results. This also includes accepting the Results (As taking the responsibility for the outcome of your own effort on SELF is important). So, I strongly suggest one should give the SELF ample amount of chances before giving up on a particular option. In the process, you will keep knowing yourself better and better. I have practiced it and so I do believe on it :-) So, explore as much as you can and then think about settling down (it at all you do!).

Steve Jobs rightly said in his Stanford Commencement Speech:
Keep Looking and Don't settle!!
STAY HUNGRY, STAY FOOLISH

2 comments:

Mayank said...

Then Sharmaji, what are you best at apart from engineering...:P

But on a serious note, Its a nice stuff and almost everybody goes through this brainstorming and eventually gets what he deserves.

But as rightly said by steve: Keep looking and don't settle...to get what you deserve!

So happy blogging!!!

All Talk and No Action said...

Well written…Its very important to take in as many suggestions as possible and then do what one feels like doing.

As you have said – most people in your institute or for that matter in most Engineering Institutes in the country pursue the course out of trends/compulsion/etc…

Parents here have a notion that – “Beta 90% laaya hai SSC mai..isse toh Doctor/Engg hi banayenge…Anything else would be akin to committing a career suicide.

Though things are looking up these days and people have started according equal importance to Media, Law, Arts – but we still have a long way to go !

Below is a very interesting link to Sramana Mitra’s Reply to a Young IITian’s question. Thought it to be relevant to your post…

http://www.sramanamitra.com/2008/03/31/an-open-letter-to-iit-students/